Friday 1 February 2013

Endomorph Pride!

What the heck is an endomorph, you may well ask. It's not related to shape shifters! It's one of the three main body types or "somatotypes" that people can be classified into:

Ectomorphs are the body type that is the most resistant to weight gain due to a fast metabolism. In other words, ectomorphs are often able to overeat, while gaining little or even no weight. This body type is mainly characterised by it’s lack of mass, i.e. ectomorphs tend to have little body fat, are only lightly muscled and have a small frame (and joints). Because the have little fat, bone and muscle, ectomorphs naturally weight less and would be at the lower end of the BMI scale. This lack of mass also means that female ectomorphs tend to have a more linear body shape.

Mesomorphs are characterised by their muscle mass. They are naturally muscular and gain muscle mass very easily. Mesomorphs gain fat relatively easily, but also lose weight easily. Mesomorphs tend to have a large to medium frame and joints. Mesomorphs have the quintessential athletic physique and can sport amazing muscle definition.  Due to their muscularity and heavy frame, a healthily mesomorph will tend to be at the middle to upper end of the BMI scale.

Endomorphs gain fat easily, and lose with the greatest difficulty. This combination means that endomorphs struggle to control their body fat percentage. Endomorphs tend to have a good amount of muscle mass, are incredibly curvaceous and have a medium frame and joints. In terms of BMI, healthy endomorphs would have a BMI around the middle of the BMI scale.


Endomorphs
Most women are endomorphs—feminine and soft. This physique is rounder and they can gain fat and muscle easily. They’re fortunate to have stronger legs.
Health Implication: The metabolism of endomorphs might be slower. Even if it comes less naturally for this body type, they can still burn fat and build muscle.
Celebrity Examples: The “knockouts” of our era and eras past are often endomorphs. Think Christina Hendricks of “Mad Men” fame, and the real 1950s gal, Marilyn Monroe. Kate Winslet and actress/singer Jennifer Hudson are also endomorphs.
Best Exercise: Pilates works the lats, legs and glutes—three of the biggest muscles in the body. Start slow and build up support and balance. In no time, Pilates moves will burn fat, big time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The things I admire most about my body are also the most frustrating. I LOVE my hourglass shape, and the way it fills out a dress. My curves add va-va-voom to a lot of outfits. Conversely, a lot of clothes aren't made for my shape. Buying off the rack can be a timely process, and many fashion trends simply aren't doable for me. I can be the same height and weight as another woman and wear two sizes up in jeans thanks to my hips (I actually did have a friend who was the exact same height and weight and couldn't borrow her pants).

Another source of frustration: the barrage of  images I am faced with when looking up fitness ideas on the internet. I strongly dislike when grown women repost pictures of 20-something hardbodies and/or very naturally thin girls (emphasis on that, since we do change drastically as we age) paired with "inspirational" sayings meant to encourage exercise. Puh-leeze. How is that supposed to be motivating? None of those images show my body type. They're all "mesomorphs", which incidently do not make up the majority of the female population. I am an endomorph! But with all the visual stimulus it's easy to forget that I am never going to be a hardbody, and I feel somehow disenfranchised because I am soft and squishable in places, rather than rock hard. The trend towards extreme lean-ness and muscular athleticism is disheartening when it doesn't come naturally to you. I've decided, therefore, that I am NOT allowed to look at the fitness images that float around Pinterest, Facebook, etc. They're not realistic or aspirational for me. I think the internet needs more images of healthy-sized endomorphs! And not just women from bygone eras such as Marilyn.

I am strong, healthy AND curvy. ENDOMORPH PRIDE!!



5 comments:

  1. Love this post, finding motivation and inspiration as an endomorph is tough. I really needed this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosanna! It is tough, and we get such mixed messages. We have the supposedly "ideal" female body types, yet the media tells us otherwise every day. Keep on fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather I love your blogs! This one totally made me laugh. I'm with you 100%! And thanks for the education as well!
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying my posts! It's a fun hobby

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I've been struggling for a long time with weight loss and just started reading into the somatotypes. I agree, the pinterest pictures are VERY discouraging!! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete