Monday 4 March 2013

Quinoa Granola Bars

I'm feeling unusually cheerful for a Monday morning...must be something in the air! I had a very laid-back weekend with the family and am feeling recharged today. And I am very proud to say that I was NOT weak this time! The lack of work schedule did not send me off the rails. I am still very focused on making March my kick-ass month. I have worked out every single day, and have made healthy eating choices 90% of the time. (The exception being when my boyfriend and I went out for wings and beer and then a movie...you can't go to a movie without some form of junk food! I chowed down on his peanut butter M&Ms. That's what he gets for taking me to a guy movie. Hehehe.)

I baked a batch of homemade granola bars yesterday afternoon. There's a lot of concentrated goodness in there, and they would be perfect for long hikes or post-workout. I'm freezing a bunch to take to Jasper with me at the end of the month. They are vegan friendly (if you omit the chocolate chips). The recipe is as follows:

1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
2/3 cup nuts (I used almonds)
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried, tart cherries or cranberries
1/3 cup pitted dates
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit. Spray an 8"x 8" square baking pan and set aside.

Mix all ingredients except the bananas in a food processor or powerful blender. Pulse until finely chopped. Add bananas and pulse until fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips if desired.

Pour into pan and press into the corners until evenly spread. Bake for 20 minutes on the center rack of your oven. Let cool and slice into even pieces. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment