Tuesday 19 March 2013

Meal Organization


My downfall with consistently preparing healthy meals at home is the same as many people's: lack of time and inclination. When you work full time and arrive home hungry (with a hungry child), it's all too easy to fill up with convenience food that isn't necessarily nutritious. I do well most of the time, but there are sometimes entire weeks where I fail to plan ahead. Not only does it result in poor choices, but it ends up costing a lot of money! Last night I was feeling motivated though. We loaded up on grocery staples including a bunch of chicken breasts, pork chops and various marinades. When we got home I divided the meat into single meal portions and poured a different marinade into each ziploc. Using my handy label maker (I love that thing), I made sure to indicate the type of sauce and calorie content so there wouldn't be any guesswork. (That's for my sake- I do like to keep track of my calorie intake since losing 35 lbs a few years ago.) The end result was two weeks worth of main dishes that I can thaw one at a time and pair with veggies and rice or potatoes. There is enough variety to keep everyone happy. There is something super satisfying about being organized like this...must be the bookkeeper in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment