Tuesday 2 April 2013

How to Make Quinoa Flour

I've been wanting to experiment with gluten-free flour alternatives lately; not because I have any sensitivity, but to add variety and extra nutrients to my family's diet. I don't think I'll ever be completely replacing wheat flour in my cooking and baking, but why not try something a little different? I bought a large quantity of quinoa during a recent foray to Bulk Barn (love, love, love that place!) I cooked and used some in my muffins (see post Quinoa Banana Bread Muffins), but I also had a recipe from Pinterest that called for quinoa flour. I wasn't about to buy the flour when I have all the tools to make it myself with a little extra effort. A quick google search later and I had my directions:

1. Measure out 2 cups of quinoa
2. Toast in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. When it starts making a popping sound, toast for about 2 more minutes.
3. Grind in a food processor or blender until you have a fine powder.

Here's what my finished product looked like; as you can see it's a very fine powder. I used my Vitamix:


Keep in mind that while there are specific recipes that use quinoa flour, it can't be used as a straight-up substitute with your regular recipes. However it CAN be successfully combined with wheat flour to give it a nutritional boost. Another note: the toasting negates the need to rinse the quinoa ahead of time. If you DO rinse it, ensure that it's fully dried before toasting, or you may end up with cooked quinoa that won't grind properly into flour.

I did use the flour to make muffins, but didn't take any pictures. Here's a link to that recipe (hers are much prettier than mine anyway!):
http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2012/02/recipe-strawberry-banana-quinoa-muffins.html

I found that they were quite good, but had a much different taste than muffins made with wheat flour. They were nuttier, denser, and more filling, so a small serving goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment